Home Topic What, I’m the first? Greetings from Winnipeg

ONLINE REGGAE KEYBOARD & GUITAR LESSONS Forums WELCOME TO THE ART OF REGGAE COMMUNITY! What, I’m the first? Greetings from Winnipeg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    User AvatarJames Paskaruk
    Participant

Hey, umm, everyone :>

I’m a guy from Winnipeg, I now live outside of town but we have a band we’re starting up. This site is a bit like the internet heard my prayers for guidance.

I’ve been a guitarist most of my life but I got an RSI in my fretting hand a few years ago and basically realized that my index finger is done bending and pushing. I have lately managed to adapt my remaining three to a bit of lead playing but I am no longer a rhythm guitarist, to speak of.

Anyways, long story short, it doesn’t hurt (like, literally, my hand doesn’t hurt when I do it) to play piano or keys, so round xmas 2020 I started playing scales and basically taking keys seriously in a way I never had, cause life without music, I can’t cope. And things are going really well, actually, once I did months of scales and a lot of stumbling around and a lot of circle of fifths memorization, etc, I’m on my way.

As things were going good and I understood how the bubble worked (I have played rhythm guitar in reggae bands a couple times before) I answered an ad and joined a band as keys/guitar/backupvox. We are now called the Dub City Foundation and we almost did our first show earlier this month in support of a local artist named Lyberal (check him on Youtube, very nice stuff) but it got postponed by a blizzard, so now we’re doing our first set at a Ukraine benefit next month.

We’re still just starting up really, and I still have much to learn, both about reggae keys and keys more generally, but this site right here? Like a gift from heaven. Or the internet, either or. Anyways, looking forward to connecting with folks in other places, and building my craft.

User AvatarMatt Jenson
    Keymaster

Hi James,
    It’s me again…ha! As you see the forum is just getting going. Don’t worry, eventually it will grow and more responses will be posted.

So great you are putting reggae in line to help the massive suffering in Ukraine. I have been in touch with a Ukranian A of R member and we are working on doing a little video using some of his awesome original dubs tracks as a way of helping to uplift.

You said you have been doing a lot of scales. Check out the ‘practice routine play along’ for the piano courses on A of R. (You can play them on the organ as well.) This will further help you to get fluent with inversions, voicings, and eventually voiceleading….since you’ve done some of this work, this routine will be excellent for you!)

I hope it stopped snowing in Winnipeg (and it’s May 7th, [2022]!!)

Participant

Well y’know, Canadian I may be, but Paskaruk definitely ain’t a Russian name ;->

Participant

My keys ain’t very audible unfortunately, but we put together a wee promo vid, try to scare up a few summer gigs. Umm, enjoy? :>

User AvatarMatt Jenson
    Keymaster

Hey James, sorry for the late reply. The end of the semester (at Berklee) took place and I was in Brazil with Groundation. Too busy! I think this is a great promotional video. It’s tight, gives a great ‘tour’ of your sound and has a vibe. But yes, I wish I could hear your keys betta! Has it gotten you any gigs??

Participant

Looks like we’re playing a couple of local festivals this summer, but since I’m still learning my craft as well as my parts, my sights are on next year after another winter of hard work. In the meantime, nothing wrong with getting it out there a bit. :>

We’re also supporting a local artist (via Cayman Islands) named Lyberal in a couple weeks for his album release. This is my favorite track of his (so far):

User AvatarChristopher Bortel
    Participant

Hey James,

I just joined myself as I got interested in learning more about reggae. I mostly play guitar, but also mess with bass and keyboards a bit. Your band sounds good, hope to check out more

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
  • SKU
  • Rating
  • Price
  • Stock
  • Availability
  • Add to cart
  • Description
  • Content
  • Weight
  • Dimensions
  • Additional information
Click outside to hide the comparison bar