Home Topic chord inversion / voice leading – first chord choice

ONLINE REGGAE KEYBOARD & GUITAR LESSONS Forums Reggae Piano chord inversion / voice leading – first chord choice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    User AvatarDavid Perrin
    Participant

Hi Matt, all,

I found your Art of Reggae site at the perfect time!

When you play a song and your role is primarily rhythm support / chops, what types of things inform your choice of the first chord position you play? e.g., mostly just start w/root and take it from there or a chord fits particularly well with an intro lick or if there are keyboard voicing that compliment certain guitar chord shapes etc.

I’m especially curious when you are starting in something other than a root position.

Thank you!

Dave

User AvatarMatt Jenson
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,
    Probably the most important thing to consider is the range. You want to try to keep the keyboard chops in the range that I discussed in the video on that. It’s not really about the root position being a voicing that’s perhaps more important, or something you’d always start with because it’s the ‘root’ and not 1st or 2nd (or 3rd for 7th chords) inversion. It’s all about keeping the voicing in that sweet spot I demonstrated. So that could mean root position or any of the inversions.

Does that make sense?

Glad you’re learning!

Matt

User AvatarDavid Perrin
    Participant

Excellent got it – thanks you, Matt!

User AvatarMatt Jenson
    Keymaster

Woooohooo!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
  • SKU
  • Rating
  • Price
  • Stock
  • Availability
  • Add to cart
  • Description
  • Content
  • Weight
  • Dimensions
  • Additional information
Click outside to hide the comparison bar