Home Reply Reply To: Figuring out Horn Lines and Riddims
User AvatarAaron Hice
Participant

I think that my issue with the horn lines tends to be the harmonics. Also, sometimes if the recording used keyboards to lay down the lines, there are intervals played so that makes it tricky for me to figure out the main notes of the lines. Don’t get me wrong, I can figure out some of them with what I hear and see on Transcribe but many are challenging and time consuming for me. Understanding scales and chords helps me a lot in terms of figuring them out. I’m sure that more practice would make it easier, but also appreciate some pointers or a process.

The Riddim notation you were talking about sounds super cool – even if it is just the bass line and chords. I will definitely download and use anything like that as it becomes available. But yeah – if you could add some Melodies that would be sweet. I know that there are variations based on the tune but a lot of them have a core melody. Even if a melody is not tied to a Riddim but is on a tune, it would be helpful to have so that we can work on hand independence, playing the skank and line. Whenever I am trying to learn to actually play a skank and line at the same time, I tend to write it out so that I can see where the notes of the melody line up with the skank.

I am excited about the content you have on hand independence for playing the skank and the melody. I am also looking forward to the content that will help me learn to solo. If I have any asks after working through that content, I’ll be sure to post here in a different thread.

Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
  • SKU
  • Rating
  • Price
  • Stock
  • Availability
  • Add to cart
  • Description
  • Content
  • Weight
  • Dimensions
  • Additional information
Click outside to hide the comparison bar