Home Reply Reply To: Chord inversions question

Home Version Four Forums Basic Theory Chord inversions question Reply To: Chord inversions question

Matt Jenson
Keymaster

Hello David and Milen. Sorry for such a late reply!
First, thanks for the compliments. I’m so glad you’re getting a lot out of the lessons!
Second, Tuff Lion is showing up at my house in a couple of weeks and we’re going to get the guitar lesson content started. We’ll probably release it towards the end of April.
Lastly, regarding Milen’s question about inversions:
There is no rule of thumb as to what inversions you should use. But there IS a range that you want to stay within. There’s a lesson video on that. It’s generally around middle C and not much lower than a 5th below that. Again see the video on that. SO, to get the inversions (voicing) in that sweet spot will require different inversions depending on what key you are in. This is why I set up the lessons on this to help get used to playing ALL inversions fluently. That can take a long time to learn for a beginner as both hands have to memorize different shapes. Playing the same inversion in both hands does make for a pretty heavy sound but that’s exactly what’s needed! When you play different inversions of the same chord in each hand it might not be as heavy and that’s fine as well. A good reggae keyboard player will be able to play all inversions in both hands in any and all combinations. But just start with the same inversion in each hand at first. Then try changing just one hand’s inversion at first. Hope that helps!

Select the fields to be shown. Others will be hidden. Drag and drop to rearrange the order.
  • SKU
  • Rating
  • Price
  • Stock
  • Availability
  • Add to cart
  • Description
  • Content
  • Weight
  • Dimensions
  • Additional information
  • Attributes